Search This Blog

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Ray Lamontagne-Trouble












"I guess you don't need it
I guess you don't want me to repeat it
But everything I have to give I'll give to you
It's not like we planned it
You tried to stay, but you could not stand it
To see me shut down slow
As though it was an easy thing to do
Listen when
All of this around us'll fall over
I tell you what we're gonna do
You will shelter me my love
And I will shelter you
I will shelter you
I left you heartbroken, but not until those very words were spoken
Has anybody ever made such a fool out of you
It's hard to believe it
Even as my eyes do see it
The very things that make you live are killing you
Listen when all of this around us'll fall over
I tell you what we're gonna do
You will shelter me my love
I will shelter you
Listen when
All of this around us'll fall over
I tell you what we're gonna do
You will shelter me my love
I will shelter you
If you shelter me too
I will shelter you
I will shelter you"

Conveniently placed above this sentence are the lyrics to one of my favorite songs by one of my favorite songwriters ever. In case you were wondering.

Ray Lamontagne was born in a small town in New Hampshire, but thanks to his parents divorce, he was constantly forced to move. He was constantly the new kid, which makes since if you've ever heard the guy talk. Worst public speaker evar. But its alright, because he's one of the coolest guys in the history of the earth. Anyways, Ray ended up in a shoe factory where one day he had the coolest thing happen to him; a musical epiphany. In mid sole, "Tree Top Flyer" by Steven Stills convinced Ray to drop his promising career in shoe-making, and become a musician. I can only hope that A) one day I hear the same life changing song and that B) It's not by someone like Katy Perry or Daughtry. I would go ahead and take a .45 to my head if the Black Eyed Peas reached out and touched my soul. Anyways by 1999, Lamontagne (it's French) had compiled 10 songs, and five years later, here comes Trouble!

Trouble opens up with "Trouble", a light-hearted poke at the monster that is love. The words are like a well written version of "Love Hurts" by Nazareth, but the music speaks the opposite. It's lush and full of jolly bass grooves and jaunty guitars. Its like a frollick. A full out, summers day, wind blowing frollick through a meadow/forest/candy store, you name it. It's fun. My favorite part are the drums. They are flat out cool. One moment they are waltzing along the street, bouncing up and down, waving at everyone he sees, while the next moment, its more sultry than James Bond in a martini bar. It's one of those things that can't be explained until you hear it, which I relish in.

The next song is a special song. You see, there are three ways to get me hooked on a band.

  1. I hear a few track, maybe even a whole album, and I find something really musically attractive enough to want more.
  2. I hear a song and think, "Man, that is a really incredible song. Who is that by? Really? Why don't I know them? Please hear more now.", and so on.
  3. Jack White had anything to do with it.

"Shelter" just happens to have fallen behind door number two. As you saw earlier in this post, the lyrics are really great. They have substance and a great meaning without turning cheesy. Like "Come Sail Away". But seriously, I really love the lyrics here, BUT WAIT, THERES MORE! The songs features the same full folk backing found throughout the album, which is truly great, but the song really shines in its all out "Burn Down The Mission" song pace switch up. It stops dead in its recount of the situation and throws itself to the floor, pleading and crying for a chance. The lyrics and change of pace work together to make this grand intense musical moment that drew me in. The song projects the feelings and fills them in the listener, a trait and great songwriter strives for. That song, despite its lack of Jack White, hooked me on Ray Lamontagne like a hobo on crack. I got all the albums and had listened to his entire musical catalouge (two albums at the time) shortly after.

The rest of the album is grade A, too. "Burn" is a beautiful song of jealousy, post break-up. The words, matched with Ray's raspy vocals, are seering with rejection and pain. Its an emotional ride through the anit-Tunnel of Love. "Jolene" is another lyrical gem. Musically, the album really hits a home-run with "Hannah". The song solidifies the sound Ray works so hard for. It's intimate, it's meaningful, it's truthful. This quite folk (Avett Brothers, Nickel Creek, Brandi Carlile, Bob Dylan) has kind of turned into the soundtrack of my winter. I am at complete ease riding down the road after a long day, snow falling all around without showing any signs of meaning it, with nothing but the next day ahead. It's realistic music for the everyman; connecting especially with the humbled and the grounded. Ray is, in a little way, an epiphany to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment