Search This Blog

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Cover Of The Day-Hallelujah

In 1984, Leonard Cohen wrote the famous "Hallelujah", and later everyone in the world decided to play it. Mark my words. Everyone. The original is obviously, very good, but also very basic. It's got this weird similarity to "We Are The World" with the choir in the back. I don't want to diss it much though, because it is a very good song, especially in the lyrics. Anyways, I'm going to post as many covers as I can find, and if you know another one I missed, leme know, and I will throw it on the "Hallelujah" wall.


The original. The reason for this whole kit and caboodle.


This version has been called the definitive version of the song. It launched Jeff Buckley, and compelled everyone after to cover the song.

This one's got a lot more gung-ho to it. It drives a lot more than others, as if Billy Joel is playing it in some crowded pub in New Jersey.


Imogen Heap brings her usual uniqueness to the song in this strictly vocals track.


This is one of my favorites. The girl has amazing pipes.


Jason Castro popped the song back into the spot-light, sending posthumous Jeff Buckley sales through the roof. Another great vocal track.


If my credible sources (wikipedia) serve me right, this is the first cover of the song.


Another one of the more famous versions, k.d. sings with a very lounge feel, that really works well here.


I love this woman. I've come to that conclusion.


Thank god for Willie Nelson. Saddle up boys.


Leonard Cohen's favorite version of the song, for some reason I can't understand. It's better than their normal shtick though.


Instrumentation boosts this from a decent cover, to a great one.


Man,Kate Voegele's kinda hott. Oh.. yea.. the song.


Hei, en norsk N'SYNC. Norske folk er kult. I en fjord kjærlig, rå fisk spising, kald slags måte. (See a Norwegian translator)


Y mientras estamos en esto, tratemos de algo de español. Oh, espera, se me olvidó lo mucho que odio español. Nevermind.


Bono provides, quite easily, the most unique take on the song for the Leonard Cohen tribute album, Tower Of Song.


This is interesting too. Pain of Salvation is a Swedish progressive band. This is one of the fullest versions i've heard. It's pretty good actually.


The most recent cover is for Haiti on the Hope For Haiti Now telethon. I really like this, and I really like JT. I'm not ashamed to say it. Not so much his music, but he is a really funny person. And when you get down to it, he ain't too shabby of a singer.

That's all I have for now, but feel free to comment with your favorite version, and I will gladly post it.

No comments:

Post a Comment