Search This Blog

Friday, January 28, 2011

Cover Of The Day - "Reptilia" and "Heart In a Cage"

Good afternoon world.

Recent events have led me to start getting in to The Strokes. I always knew that they were a good little catchy band with a ton of critical hype (at least for the first album), but I've gotta admit, they surpassed even what I had expected. I even liked the last album, which got slammed by a ton of people. The first two songs are some of their best work.

There were two cuts, however, that I've known for quite a while. The first song, "Heart In a Cage", started out as a Chris Thile and the Punch Brothers song to me. It was on How To Grow A Woman From The Ground, and it didn't really go out of its way to give credit to Julian Casablancas and gang. I'm sure its in the fine print somewhere.

Therefore, I'm going to act like its a Punch Brothers song first. It's the better one, anyway.


The Strokes original luckily paved the way for the great song above, but it really is one of my least favorite by them. It lacks the energy and creative guitar licks that make the band so great. I really like the lyrics though.


The second Strokes song I heard Thile take on like a champ was "Reptilia", which was already my favorite song from the band. The chorus emanates this caged energy; like a hurricane in a box.


Now, try it bluegrass style.


As you can hear, they only do it live. I really like that too, because it leaves a huge incentive to go to the shows. Last time I saw these guys, they played Radiohead's Packt Like Sardines in a Crushd Tin Box. It was amazing.


No comments:

Post a Comment