Search This Blog

Friday, March 4, 2011

Slender Man

Is one terrifying motherfather. If you follow the MarbleHornets debacle, then you know what I'm talking about. If you don't, go watch all of these late at night in a dark empty house. It's FUN!

Kind of like the eerie digital malfunctioning MarbleHornets series, I've been listening to a lot of minimal elctronic music recently. E.I. James Blake, Flying Lotus,

News

- The 83rd Academy Awards um, happened? this past Sunday night. But Andy, old chap, how does this pertain to music, I say? Well, good question 1920's Englishmen reader. It almost entirely doesn't. Howevsys, what about those two little score and best song awards. Well, the song went to Randy Newman, who won for the third time after some 23 nominations. Normally, this statistic is more embarrassing than me talking to girls, but when it's for the greatest song in a movie all year long, It's pretty impressive. In more suprising news, former Nine Inch Nails front man Trent Reznor somehow won best score. It's a fantastic score, and I'm really amazed that the Academy was willing to look past how unconventional it was and give it some dang respect.

- My friend's Natalie and Wilson saw Beach House in New York this week. No news, just thought that was cool.

- Dave Pajo left Interpol. I fell like I should find this important, but I've never really been introduced to the band, so oh wellzz.

- A few months ago, I had the opportunity to go to Moogfest over Halloween weekend this year. I had the time of my life, but I chose to not see a (seemingly) one-time Caribou/Four Tet show in a little club in Asheville. I chose instead to see Jonsi, and I still stand firmly behind that decision, as it was the best show I've ever seen. However, I did later play woulda shoulda coulda. However, the two techno stars announces that they will be releasing a limited edition vinyl collaboration in the near future. Buy it all night long.

- Wavves sucks. Not news, again, but it needs to be said.

- This week in Off Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All news, Mellowhype, the rap OFWGKTA duo of rapper Hodgy Beats and producer Left Brain

- Festival Smorgasbord

- The Roots annual The Roots Picnic lineup was released this this week, and this year, the Picnic, including shows by The Roots, Nas, Wiz Khalifa, Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti, Esperanza Spalding, Yelawolf, and Man Man, will be held June 4th in the Columbus Boulevard and Spring Garden Street, Philadelphia, PA.

- The Glastonbury line-up hasn't been released, but U2, Coldplay, and Beyonce have been confirmed as headliners.

- The Solid sound Festival, Wilco's second annual fest in North Adams, Massachusets will take place June 24-26 and will include Wilco (Obviously), The Levon Helm Band, Thurston Moore, Here We Go Magic, Dave Douglas & Brass Ecstasy, and comdey from Eugene Mirman, John Hodgeman, and Wyatt Cenac.

- Pitchfork dates and line-up were released today and am there. I will be there. Trust me. It has an amazing lineup. So far, Animal Collective, James Blake, Curen$y, Das Racist, Fleet Foxes, The Dismemberment Plan, Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti, Woods, Sun Airway, Kylesa, TV On The Radio, Cut Copy, Deerhunter, Destroyer, OFWGKTA, and Yuck are on the bill with more coming later. This seriously looks amazing. Who's going with me?

New Music

I could go on and on this week, but everything has spawned from NPR's SXSW playlist. If you like the alternative music SXSW showcases, it's all too easy to get lost in this. Check it out here.

I did find this brilliant video. Be warned it's about a puppet committing suicide. Pear-ental discretion advised.



This is great too.



Discoveries

I've been digging through my dad's record collection some this week and listened to some Weather Report. The 70's jazz band had a huge impact on jazz and their bassist Jaco Pastorius. Give Black Market a listen.

Believe it or not, I never heard Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon, in its entirety, until this week. As most people claim, it is really good. I'm not really into the whole deep thought lyrical genius crap though. I mean, it's not bad, but I don't think it's a magical earth shattering black hole of euhporical knowledge. The album stands out to me for its synthesizers. I did not expect the atmospheric lazer-ish soundscapes. And yes, I did watch some of the Wizard of Oz with Dark Side of The Moon in the background.

I pulled Van Halen's 1984 and Springsteen's Tunnel of Love out of the old collection, too.

Releases

Lupe Fiasco - Lasers

Raekwan - Shaolin Vs. Wu Tang

R.E.M - Collapse Into Now

Kurt Vile - Smoke Ring For My Halo

Wye Oak - Civilian

Playlist



Slenderman, out.

No comments:

Post a Comment