Search This Blog

Friday, February 18, 2011

Magnets?

How do they work?

Sorry there's no new material on here since last week. I kept telling myself all week that I was going to do a review or a cover at the very least, and I did not do those things. Productivity is overrated. I'm going to try my best to get a few things up this week, but....no promises, because as the famous philosopher Drakeonius once said, and I quote "I'm doing me".

I had a solo shift on good ole' WUTK this week, so SHAME ON YOU........ if you did not listen. If you did listen, then, good for you. I'll give you a high five sometime. If you did and you're Jessica Alba, call me.

Wanna hear some MTV news that isn't about Jersey Shore? 90.3 the Rock has gotten into the final round of the MTV Woodie award's Best College Station in America. Sure, you can say we ARE THE BEST! GO AMERICA! So, um, we need your help to win. Go to this link right here that is green, and vote for us at least 693 times. At least. If you tell me that you helped us win, then I will have a special surprise for you, but only if you prove it. DONTTHINKABOUTITDOITNOW!!!!!!

The bonnaroo lineup came out, but I'm not going to talk about that specifically, yet. I tell you to let you know that I was planning on doing a big seperate post on it specifically, and once again, i dropped the ball on that. So, I'm going to have a bit of a Roo 2011 guide directly below the words you are reading, and my play list for this week is going to have at least one song from every artist on the bill. So, sit back, relax, and find out what you might have missed this week.

News

- Last week, LCD Soundsystem announced that they would play their last show April 2 in Madison Square Garden in what is sure to be a fantastic time; such a great time that scalpers up and bought a huge portion of the tickets (infuriating lead singer James Murphy), so the band has added four shows on March 28,29,30, and 31 in New York's famous Terminal 5. Who's taking me?

- The 53rd annual Grammy Awards were held last weekend, and it was generally as dissapointing as ever. Lady Gaga lived in a egg-ish thing for three days to get prepare to get out of it. Bob Dylan, with all of the respect in the world, sounded absolutely rusted out. Justin Bieber somehow made ninjas look really lame. All around it was pretty bad. But there were two glaring bright spots. As you probably know, Best New Artists didn't go to Beiber, it didn't go to Drake, it didn't even go to Mumford and Sons. The award went to jazz bassist Esperanza Spalding, who has sold a fraction of the records the rest of the group has, proving that there may be some life in the music industry yet. Later in the show, after Eminem had taken my hope for the industry back back, Arcade fire beat out Em, Lady Gaga, and favorite of the night Lady Antebellum for the Album of Year, citing mass confusion and this really funny website.

- This past Monday, Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All member Tyler, The Creator signed a one year deal with XL Recordings. He will use this to record his album,
Goblin, which is going to be released around April.

- The Flaming Lips released a 12 section song on Youtube, Tuesday, that is supposed to be played on iphones or ipods with other people. You can play all of them at once, or experiment with certain ones. Kinda like this.

- Elvis Costello announced this week that his new tour will feature a wheel, very similar to Yo La Tengo's, filled with hits, rarities, and b-sides, that an audience member will spin, and either get dance in an on stage Go-Go cage or watch the show from a lounge off stage. My dad's a huge fan, and I would pay thousands to see him stuck in a go-go cage.

- Monday, Radiohead announced that they would release their next studio album, King of Limbs, this Saturday, and would be accepting pre-orders for both digital versions of the album, as well as a loaded box-set with two see-through vinyls, a cd, many large sheets of artwork as well 625 small frames, and a digital version in either WAV or MP3 format. Let me re-iterate, Radiohead is releasing this after one week of build-up. I am busting at the seems to get out of the store, so I can get home and listen to it.

Notable Music

Daytrotter is a brilliant thing. For those who have been deprived of its existence, Daytrotter is a studio in Rock Island, Illinois that records bands daily. They accompany the recordings with a portrait drawn on the spot and a brilliantly written piece incorporating the performer. They get some pretty big names, This past month has seen the likes of Van Dyke Parks, Bela Fleck, and Tapes n' Tapes, but the real beauty in the whole institution is the quality acts that are rarely heard of. For instance, Cedarwell. I heard this song, and immediately fell in love with it. I'm not going to put too much Daytrotter on here, but this one deserves the recognition.

Check it out here.

I heard this little blip-tastic ditty on pitchfork and it's resonated with me for a while.


As I said before, Radiohead released their album today, as well as this video of Thom York pulling his best "Single Ladies" impression. If it doesn't scare you a bit, then you scare me. The hand claps are a nice touch.


I'm really intrigued about this James Blake guy. I feel like dub-step is a little for there to already have a genre called post-dub-step, but that's kind of what this guy does. Kind of. He's the kind of artist that you can't pin down. Please excuse the remarks from the DJ. This song is especially great because he takes the same synth heard in the worst of elevator music and pokemon games, and flips its world inside out.


Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All is quickly becoming one of the most exciting things to happen to rap since Wu-Tang came along. The band of misfit-skater thugs took to Fallon this week and chaos ensued. fun chaos.


Discoveries

I havent listened to a ton of new stuff this week but my History of Punk rock at school has helped me really appreciate the Ramones. The first album is really intense and angst filled, but also very influential. They were truly one of a kind (at the time).

Buffalo Springfield is another new-to-me band this week, as I just discovered them through the Roo' lineup. Chances are, if you are my age, you know the song "For What It's Worth" and nothing else, but "Bluebird" is absolutely fantastic.

Releases

Radio Head - King Of Limbs

Adele - 21

Banjo or Freakout - Banjo or Freakout

The Low Anthem - Smart Flesh

Gil Scott Heron and Jamie xx - Were New Here

Toro Y Moi - Underneath The Pine

BONNAROO

Oh Bonnaroo, how I love thee. I've been once, and I'm already sucked in. I feel like I can't not go. As I said earlier, the line-up dropped this week, and despite the usual hatred towards it, I think it's one of my favorites already, and it's not even finished. It's especially sweet for those who tilt a little bit more towards the country/folk spectrum than normal.

I was going to go through and label every band with the type of music they play, but I ran across a thread on inforoo that had really bested me, so I'm just going to put it in here for you all to see. Once again, this is from someone on inforoo, not me.

Baroque Rock

Arcade Fire
The Decemberists
Freelance Whales

Blues-Rock

Widespread Panic (Jam Band)
The Black Keys
Cold War Kids
Warren Haynes Band (Jam Band)
Dr. John and The Original Meters
Gregg Allman
22-20s
Band of Skulls

Country and/or Bluegrass

The String Cheese Incident (Jam Band)
Alison Krauss & Union Station featuring Jerry Douglas
Old Crow Medicine Show
The Del McCoury Band and the Preservation Hall Jazz Band
Loretta Lynn
Wanda Jackson
Railroad Earth (Jam Band)
Justin Townes Earle
Ryan Bingham
Abigail Washburn
Karen Elson
Hayes Carll

Electronic Rock & Electronica

Bassnectar
Girl Talk
Pretty Lights
STS9 (Jam Band)
Sleigh Bells
School of Seven bells
Ratatat
Beats Antique
Omar Souleyman

Experimental Rock

Primus
Portugal. The Man
Man Man

Folk & Folk Rock

Buffalo Springfield
Robert Plant and The Band of Joy
Mumford & Sons
Ray Lamontagne
Iron & Wine
Florence + The Machine
Beirut
Grace Potter and the Nocturnals
Amos Lee
Junip
Deer Tick
Sharon Van Etten
The Low Anthem
Alberta Cross
Jessica Lea Mayfield
The Head and The Heart
Phosphorescent
Clare Maguire

Funk

Bootsy Collins & The Funk University
Dam Funk

Gypsy Punk Rock

Gogol Bordello
Global Gypsy Punk Revue curated by Eugene Hutz
Devotchka

Hip-Hop

Eminem
Lil Wayne
Big Boi
Atmosphere
Wiz Khalifa
Chiddy Bang
Jovanotti
J Cole

Metal

Opeth
The Sword
Kylesa

Multi-Genre

Bruce Hornsby and the Noise Makers (Jam Band)
Bela Fleck and the Flecktones

Pop Rock

Scissor Sisters
Best Coast
Robyn
The Drums
Neon Trees
Wavves
Smith Westerns
Twin Shadows

Post-Punk Rock

The Strokes
Deerhunter
Matt & Kim
The Walkmen
!!!

Post-Rock

Explosions in the Sky

Psychedelic Rock

My Morning Jacket (Jam Band)
The Black Angels
Nicole Atkins and The Black Sea

R&B

Mavis Staples

So, that's that. There are some great acts that are going to be there this year, and I'm feeling there are going to be a few things hidden up Ashely Capps sleeve that will come to light in the coming months. The Superjams already look to be promising. In case you missed them, this year will find

Dr. John and the original Meters performing Desitively Bonnaroo, the album which the fest is named after.

Dr. John and Dan Auerbach (The Black Keys)

and the Global Gypsy Punk Revue curated by Gogol Bordello front man Eugene Hutz.

Therefore, followers of the world, I leave you with this playlist of a song from everyone on the farm this year. Enjoy


No comments:

Post a Comment