Search This Blog

Sunday, May 23, 2010

So I'm a little behind...

I haven't been keepin up with this bad boy too well recently (Gah Andy, you suck), but it's because I was busy getting rid of high school forever (Yay! And, you're the awesome!). It's really a pretty terrible excuse, because I haven't really done anything for a couple weeks now. School was easy. I kicked-off the best summer ever about a week ago by finally hitting purchase on the inter-web for my Bonnaroo tickets. Yea, I'm thooper-ekthited. It really should be the bomb. I even got all super organized and set up a schedule of shows I plan to go by. Nothings permanent, but this schedule is going to be my treasure map for the week. So, since I'm sure you are dying to know who I will allow to play for me, here's the shows I plan on rockin' out to.

  • Thursday
Joe Robinson- I don't know anything about this guy, but he's the first show of the week, so I hope it's a nice start. He seems like an unbelievable Australian acoustic guitar god, so that's good enough for me.

Caitlin Rose- This is another matter of the only show playing. She sounds like a folksy Zoey Deschanel knock off. Meh.

The Postelles-I've heard of these guys, but I don't know them at all. I think they play modern L.A.-ish rock. Like a Modest Mouse/Girls mix.

Baroness- These guys could be super loud and obnoxious, or a lot of fun. They play hard hard rock, almost to the point of being metal. I would love to see them pull of some of the guitar licks and drum fills live.

Local Natives- This one is going to be tricky, because Manchester Orchestra starts their set 15 minutes after Local Natives. I've heard a lot of rave reviews from the music community about these guys, and I might end up staying for this whole set.

Manchester Orchestra- I've not only heard great things about Manchester Orchestra, I've heard some of their album, and really liked it, so, like I said, I'll be torn between them and Local Natives.

Neon Indian- This should be pretty trippy, but I think it will be a blast. Neon Indian is similar to Passion Pit in their electro glitch rock. They just take things a whole new step and jump into the realm of hippy trippy.

The Temper Trap-I have been seeing this name for a while now. They sound like U2. A lot.

The xx- I'm going to watch most of these guys, but I don't really like them that much. I just can't but into the super minimal rock. It bores me. I guess I'm shallow.

Wale- If The xx disapoint, I'm sure Wale will be a fun show. I heard he only got to play half of his set at Coachella, so hopefully he'll put on a great show to make sure he keeps getting asked to festivals. Just a wish.

Joshua James- I want to see this guy on the sole fact that he looks and sounds like a Chihuhua.

Sharam- This show is a big maybe. He is techno at it's most concentrated, and at 3 in the morning, I'll probably catching some sleep for the next day instead.

Thursday is my least known, and least active day. I'm taking a gamble on some of the bands, but I'm sure it will be a blast. I might not be able to get into the Budweiser stage, so if I can't I'll probably use the time to check out what all is going on around the place.

  • Friday
The Punch Brothers- I've seen these guy's three times now, and every time has been outstanding. However, since I have seen them so much already, I will leave the set early to go see..

Conan O'Brien- I love Coco. I absolutely hated to see his show go, as it was the only late night talk show I would ever watch. I've read that his show is hilarious, and it will probably bring out some fun guests.

Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros- I honestly only know one song by this group, but I love it. Mixed reviews have kept me from listening to this album, so maybe they will win me over.

Dr. Dog- This is my favorite show coming into the week. I really like everything I have heard this band play, and they sound like a blast. They are one of my friend who manages the Disc Exchange's favorites.

She and Him- I loved these guys, until the group put out their second album. If this set is good enough, i'll stay and listen for a while, but if not, I will proceed on to...

The National- This is one of the most hyped bands at 'Roo, and I hope they kill it.

Tenacious D- If the National bore me, I can see most of these comic's set.

Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers- I just want to say I've seen Steve Martin. He's a funny guy.

Michael Franti and Spearhead- This show is just to hold me over until Kings of Leon, so I may not see much of it.

Kings of Leon- They are headlining for a reason. I cannot wait to see these guys play.

The Black Keys- This one is hard, because I'll be passing up the Flaming Lips set, but I have to hear The Black Keys live. Their music is meant for it, and this may be one of my only chances to catch them live.

The Royal Bangs- I might see them, just because they are local. They would be fun live, but I can catch em on campus just as easily.

The Crystal Method- I do want to dance the night away on Friday, and The Crystal Method should help with that. They are infectiously catchy.

Kid Cudi- All of these last five shows all pretty much run together, so I can't say if I will see all of them. This is my least likely show to make it to.

LCD Soundsystem- And this is my most likely show to make it to. I don't know anything like this, and they should play a great set.

B.o.B.- Yep, that guy with the mega-hit on the radio now. I'm only going to check him out if I get bored with LCD.

While Thursday is going to be kind of lax, Friday will be crazy. There are a ton of great bands playing at the same time, so I'll be running around everywhere.

  • Saturday

Rebolution-This is one of the few reggae groups I'll see all week, so I'm going to go to play with hippies.

Langhorne Slim- This guy will kick off my very folk morning and after noon with a set that, I've heard, is excellent.

Brandi Carlile- If you read this blog at all, you know I freak out for Brandi. I love her, and I will love seeing her again.

Dave Rawlings Machine- For those who don't know, this is Old Crow Medicine Show with Dave Rawlings (and probably Gillian Welch). This is another one of my most anticipated shows of the week.

The Avett Brothers- You should also know how much I loved I and Love and You. I know like ten people who've seen the brothers live, and they all say it is the best show of their lives.


The Dead Weather- I'm going to leave Avett early in order to see this whole set. I freaking love these guys, and can't wait to come face to face with the legend Jack White.

Jeff Beck- The guitar god with freaky long fingers is going to be spell-bounding. He plays a guitar like no one else in the world.

Stevie Wonder- Stevie can get old after a while, but I've gotta her "Superstition".

Jay-Z- This is the show of the week, if all goes down right. I love Jay-Z, and he is the best rapper alive. If I get really lucky, Beyonce will come out for a song or two.

Lissie- If I can get into the Budweiser lounge, this will hold me over until...

Deadmou5- This guy is a great DJ, and I'm sure he will be a blast.

The Disco Biscuits- This shows a big maybe. If i'm up to it, i'll jam it out.

Saturday will probably be my favorite day, as I love most of the bands playing. I know almost every band I plan on seeing.

  • Sunday
Tinariwen- The last day of the concert kicks off with these Egyptian rockers. They may be an acquired taste for some, but their skill is undoubtedly amazing.

Japanroids- I don't know anything about them, but they're name wins me over.

Aziz Ansari, Nick Kroll, Paul Scheer, and Rob Huebel- RAAAAAAAANDY. My dad kind of knows Paul Scheer.

Regina Spektor- I loved her big hit, and I hope the rest of her music is just as good.

Supagroup- This is the big band Bonnaroo gathers from current festival bands to play for an hour. I would love to see Jack White on guitar, Dave Matthew's drummer, and Phoenix's bassist.

Ween- This is one of a three way tie for this hour's slot.

How I Became The Bomb- second choice.

Space Capone- third choice, and likely winner for it's name.

Phoenix- Another favorite of mine. this band could play the best set of the week as long as they don't play Love Like A Sunset.

Dave Matthew's Band- I've heard stories from dozens of people about this band's shows, and I can't wait to experience one for myself. It should be crazy, since it's the last show of the week.

This will be a great way to close the week off. no doubt.

As I said, this is very likely to change a lot, but It's my initial battle plan. Please tell me if you suggest any one else I should see. I'm going to try to really get some material on here this week, so stay tuned kiddos.

No comments:

Post a Comment